Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ugly relationships

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1XxILVnt1w

Saw the movie Lars and The Real Girl a bit ago. About a guy who can't stand being near anyone yet is horribly lonely. So he convinces himself that a blow up doll is real. And that's his girlfriend.

I thought it interesting that I was feeling like it hit too close to home.... And what I'm thinking is that lots and lots of people at one time or other will pretend that someone is something that actually they aren't. Lots of infatuations, failed romances are that way. I've had bad relationships in the past where I just needed this or that sort of person to exist... and to an extent I ignored the obvious and told myself that some person in the real world was exactly that... when of course they weren't at all.

So although I don't have a blow up doll nor will I ever, I have done what Lars does to an extent. Even despite being happily married I've still done it recently. And I think most people probably have done so.

Probably to some extent a key in avoiding really ugly relationships is to not do this. For example, to instead realize early on when you're dealing with a dishonest, crap person.

But then of course it seems lots of people are dishonest in their relationships so even if you are doing your absolute best to see a person as they truly are (and perhaps that's what most of us normally try to do) you're still likely to have plenty of ugly relationships to look back on.