Monday, April 26, 2010





Met my cello teacher at violin shop in Pittsburgh. She seems really really nice. Not even slightly pretentious/snobby which was the primary worry. I suppose also I remember quite a few assholes in the past with regards to playing trumpet in a band and trying a few piano lessons. She doesn't seem like them at all. She spent more than an hour playing cellos/bows ranging in price from 1,500 dollars to 25,000 and 150 dollars to 2,500. I purchased one of each for 2,000 and 500. The 25,000 dollar cello sounded roughly 10% better or so...

It's a fun instrument IMO. But I suck. Can't do vibrato even yet. And wander around inbetween notes. Why no markings at all on the fingerboard? Just a few even to keep track of where one is....? Why not?

I think though my 30 dollar wind chime makes a better pure tone. Wondering if I could find a way to get it to play any frequency (within a given range) like a cello can do. Vibrato in particular, which is one of the really nice things about bow instruments. Makes a huge difference.