Sunday, April 4, 2010

Noticed many times in life that I seem to run much better/faster when I also am riding a bike. Recall first running a mile in 6:04 in high school gym class just from a bit of basketball and riding a bike really hard. Later noticed played basketball much better/much better agility here and there when I really rode an exercise bicycle hard.

So the lunges I had been doing are similar but a higher intensity which I was thinking could cause me going into overtraining/insomnia. So switched to riding a bike. First ride 4 days ago on Thursday for an hour. On Friday I ran 2 miles in 20 minutes, rested 3 minutes and ran an additional mile in 11 minutes. Rested and ran half a mile in 4:25. The previous run I had managed 2 miles in 20:45 a week earlier, but with 5 pound dumbells. Rode a bike another hour on Saturday (bit faster than previously, 5 minute improved ment for 30 minutes, much greater improvement for an hour). Today, Sunday, ran 2 miles in 18:26. Rested 90 seconds and ran another mile in 10 minutes. Rested again and ran another half mile in 4:13. Huge improvments. Ridiculous considering how long I can otherwise plateau at slower times.

Cautiously must say, this running is making my back entirely better. Last night even slept on stomach and didn't wake up with any pain. More and more such is the case.

After almost beating my rightwing brother-in-law to a bloody pulp at christmas had decided to avoid him permantly to avoid ending up in jail. All kinds of fights have ensued with parents who would much rather me risk jail and show up to eat a meal (that isn't even considerate to veganism anyway) a few times a year as if it even matters. As if the considerable risk has any kind of reward anyway beyond some paper thin facade. So to avoid endless more arguments and fights being forced to eat Easter dinner today. As the actual me has never existed with my parents. Me almost losing it and turning rightwing dumbass into mush is dismissed as not real. So in future will do best to switch work schedules with people such that I work all holidays. Never cared much about holidays anyway.

But the running is such fun. How I've missed being able to move with a bit of speed for an extended distance. The bike riding is actually better also. Beautiful weather now also. Feel like documenting how beautiful my house is, etc right now. Just to try to prove to myself that it's real. It's not all holocausts and slavery.

Also, still think work is basically wonderful. When compared to the previous jobs I've had. You see, it could be worse. Could be a story, Slave Training. First: just put them through hellraiser type environment. So my work, it could be much, much worse. This I know very well. And must remember. Other than that. It's still ugly capitalism. Middle management isn't very intelligent. In fact intelligent people just don't go into middle management it seems. I've noticed this over and over again, job after job. It takes a stupid sort of person to be the overseer. And of course, the overseer is someone to fear, someone who will crack the whip. And because, again, they're not very intelligent, they might misassess you at anytime. At any time on a whim, your life could be destroyed.

And again, it's capitalism. No matter the technological innovation, the people who have jobs will always be working about as much as they can stand. And the "ruling class" figures the best way to keep them up on this edge is through fear.

Middle management, IOW the overseers, keep the fear on. That's what they're there for. What kind of person wants to be the overseer? I notice also, they DO NOT take a fellow worker, someone who's been out with working with the rest of us for years and years and make them overseers. It has to be someone farther away. So, they take someone who's only been a nurse 6 months, but has some connection, and give her a high ranking position. Or someone who's not even from the hospital. Or from some other area of the hospital who hardly even knows that specialty.

Such is how it is because, your boss isn't your friend in capitalism. The system works by fear so they can't be your friend. But it could be worse. Way, way, way worse. This job is a paradise compared to my previous jobs in both science and engineering.

Been sleeping so good these last few days. Possibly because I'm sleeping at night. Possibly because I've so long off (6 days) that work is far away enough that I've just not thought about it (thus no stress). Possibly the exercise.

From reading the end of Omnivore's Dillemma am eating a lot of mushrooms. Wonder the nutritional benefits of them. Perhaps they have some unknown benefits? Been frying them with onions and Earth Balance then adding rice, broccoli, peas, etc. Tastes very good. So easy actually to make.