Thursday, October 9, 2008

I think that thinking in terms of games is a way to better enjoy life; turning everything into a game. Watching the movie Life is Beautiful, that is what the main character is doing while in the concentration camp and describing things to his child (while trying to shield him from the truth...)

Some games in this life I've just not played. It has caused me unhappiness to not play... but not playing was a part of playing another game... I look at what mankind has been, what men do to one another and I'm just not buying into the whole... thing so much; the whole game of interactions between men and trying to get ahead; the rate race, etc. Making money and "friends", etc. It's not a game I really want to put much time into. I think it would be kind of immoral to get very involved in it. And that is another game perhaps. The game of being a moral person. That's a game I'm more interested in doing well at.

I want to decrease suffering on a large scale. Not just working at a soup kitchen. I want to make some stories... or something, that can be widely disseminated and make a positive difference in this world. Something like what Ayn Rand did except something positive instead of negative.

...Another thing to see in Life is Beautiful is how people are like that little boy, they couldn't possibly stand to really see life for what it is. I say this in the sense of truly feeling for them. They can't actually stand it. But to improve our situation... they would need to.

Should they just learn to love the concentration camp or see it for what it is when chances maybe aren't so great they'll be able to change it?

It's not necessarily a good analogy. Of course it's not as bas as that. And it's more likely to be changed than that. But the analogy holds to an extent. And there is a point to use extreme things for analogies; things like Hitler, concentration camps, etc. Things that are less a question of degree and more obvious, thus the main point trying to be made is clearer.