Friday, January 15, 2010


















90. /3 and 4 just intonation.
This was an experiment using just the ratios: 5/4, 4/3, 3/2, 5/3, 7/4, 2/1. Which is to say, just dividing by 3 and 4. I figured it would be so consonant that I could perhaps otherwise just randomly play notes and it might still seem musical/pleasing to the ears. So, it is pretty close to random. Although a relatively high note is generally followed by a relatively low note with really high notes and really low notes spaced out somewhat evenly. Otherwise I again want to not know where I'm at in the song. Just a whole bunch of notes that can't be predicted but are yet relatively consonant. And that one can find bits of traditional melody within it, but which it doesn't follow, instead wandering off again and again.

This was the first scala file I made. Making the file took about 30 seconds. Once I finally figured out how to do it. I could make a youtube tutorial that would take 10 seconds.

Also I see myself much younger waking up early and something like a church (but not really) playing something like this very loudly each morning (or once a week? or whatever calendar system would be used..) so that it reverberates throughout the community much like church bells, etc sometimes does in our world. This would be played as a sort of improvisation. Where there are some basic parameters combined with plenty of the random. As the player does it over and over again, they get better at it. This here was, BTW, me actually playing (with quantisization, etc afterwards). But I haven't practiced, with more practice there would be less of the random... although again, that would mean more of knowing where you're at in the song (how close to it's end/death) with respect to it being a recording.

In this other world the technology is in some ways greater while in other ways seems medieval. I guess the idea is using more wisdom with regards to technology. So, I get up to a verdant world in a connected commnity and I walk a relatively short distance to wherever it is I'm going. This plays in the background. It's a positive bit of music for a much more positive world than this one.

As it's reverberating all around us, it would have more reverb than the version I finally posted online. The idea then is to play it loud from a room or two away, with doors closed, etc so that the listener can control the amount of reverb themselves. (You can always put more yourself, but you can't take away recorded reverb.)