Saturday, August 9, 2008

Imagine how nice it would be to be immortal.


I think it would be nice anyway. I'm not flippant about death. Death is something to avoid. 75 years is a pitifully short time.

Now imagine instead that in order to survive you have to murder something every day.


That would be horrible. Such a thing would truly be a monster; an actually evil creature that perhaps the world would be better off without. Perhaps letting such creatures go extinct would be better.

But now, imagine something far worse: A creature that murders everyday, not because it has to to survive. But just out of indifference. Just because that's what it's used to and it just doesn't care.

Now imagine a world overflowing with such creatures.


What is the role of an intelligent and good person in such a world?

haha. You have no role. Turn away.

------

Went to Canada this last week and liked it. The people are a bit nicer. Probably a bit more intelligent. Of course it was mostly touristy interactions... Would happily move there. The cold weather would even be a plus in my book. I'm happy enough to stay inside out of the cold with some books and music.

Wife kept wanting to take pictures of us. I don't like pictures. I don't like how I look... But she did take some all the same. And Hellboy was on TV tonight and I noticed... I look like Hellboy. Hah. I really do. I'm not dark red at least. But I have a Ron Perlman sort of face. A very long face that has something kind of brutal about it while at the same time intelligent and sensitive. IOW, stuff that doesn't appear to go together, otherwise known as irregular features. And beauty is basically having regular features. I am not regular. I suppose realizing I look like Hellboy was a good slant on it though. My wife and I look like something out of a fable/myth. While I'm the jotun/hellboy/troll thing, she's some kind of gnome or something. My nose and face are literally about twice as long as hers although I'm actually only a foot taller. Which I suppose is also a nice slant on things. I don't belong to this world and I don't look like I belong to this world.

I should consider myself lucky that I'm allowed to live at all.

I certainly shouldn't expect anymore than that.