Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The barriers on microtonal music are...

The sound of homegrown piano with scala files isn't any good. But I suppose it's no worse really than a harpischord.

I'm unfamilar of course with any new scale and standard keyboards don't correspond. I guess I need to stick pieces of tape on the keyboard in the place at least of one octave up, a fifth, the seventh, etc. With what little playing around I've done so far it seems I lose the ability even to tell what is an octave up! As the strange pitches ...discombobulate me or something.

What alternate scale should I even use? Maybe, probably, no amount of trying to study music theory and the mathematics behind it is going to answer that question on it's own. I simply need to mess around with such alternate scales, actually hear them, see how they sound...

Despite the bad sound of homegrown piano I should use it and it's scala files pitchshifted from a single note. 19 equal temperament-put bits of tape on the keyboard.

...

lambdoma
The problem with that is there's 21 notes in the first octave, ten in the second and then only 3, 2, and 1, 1, 1 in the following. But that first bit looks like a nice alternate scale to me.
1/8, 1/7, 1/6, 1/5, 1/4, 2/7, 1/3, 2/5, 3/7, 1/2, 4/7, 3/5, 5/8, 2/3, 5/7, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 6/7, 7/8, 1

Not much agreement out there though. 19 equal temperament and 31 equal temperament are high regarded. I should experiment with just intonation, the left half of the lambdoma as above, and continue experimenting with 19 equal temperament.

What's so special about using limits by the way? http://totallyratted.com/theory/0008_harmonicseries.pdf
Pythagoras using the three limit. Partch using the 11 limit, etc. Many questions I've no one to ask.