Saturday, September 5, 2009

Just versus equal tempered scale
Just intonation
I think the just scale would be better for me. I don't really need to change keys much. (And I think I maybe won't bother to write a song in every key...) Maybe a bit of enharmonic modulation, which I think I've done here and there in the past... But such isn't an essential component of my music. And anyway, I at least would like to play with the just scale a bit.

Physics of Music
This site is interesting. May make some wind chimes later. Was thinking of micro (vibrational frequencies) and macro time (the beats)....

I don't need to change keys so much really. Basically there's the minor key and the major key and then other scales. The pentatonic scale, six note, Partch's 43 tone scale, etc.
Microtonality

...with the 12 tone scale there is the major key which is:
2,2,1,2,2,2,1 or
1,9/8,5/4,4/3,3/2,5/3,15/8,2
and the minor which is:
2,1,2,2,1,2,2 or
1,9/8,6/5,4/3,3/2,8/5,9/5,2

The difference between the two is basically:
Major: 5/4, 5/3, 15/8
Minor: 6/5, 8/5, 9/5

The major (just) scale has ratios of relatively smaller whole prime numbers. It is interesting to me to try to translate this over to the general dark and brooding feel of music in minor keys versus the relatively happy sound of major keys. The ratios of relatively larger whole prime numbers can be thought of as dissonant, but also as simply more complex, more difficult to understand. And I wonder if are minds translate that which is simple and straightforward into 'happy' and that which is not so easy to understand as sad or dark and brooding. To me the minor scale just sounds more interesting also. To go to something like Partch's 43 tone scale then I would think would be going (potentially) much further in this direction.

I do wonder at what point the brain sees a ratio of larger whole numbers as close enough to some much smaller ratio. Like 199/100 being very close to 2/1. Or 15/8 even being close to 2/1... At what point does that become something that is translated as happy instead of sad/dark and brooding...?

Anyway, microtonal VSTs... Found this so far:
http://12equalboresme.com/Synths/Synths.html
Haven't tried it yet. Listened to a couple of samples. It all sounds vaguely chinese though like all such and such (unfamilar foreign group of) people look the same.
Actually downloading that one looks like too big a pain in the ass. Maybe this:
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/ or something....

..finally the 31 tone scale:
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/docs/beerart.html
Mentions the harmonic seventh (7/4)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_seventh
which I mentioned earlier wondering how such doesn't exist in the 12 tone scale...

...then also the 43 tone scale:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Partch%27s_43-tone_scale
etc.

..I guess an obvious reason for only 12 notes could be that we've only ten fingers and two hands... Practically speaking, actually playing a real instrument with a 31, etc tone scale would have been very difficult before electronics..