Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Internet is potentially dangerous

Talking recently about 'Meaningful Relationships' and how I've unfortunately been turning to the internet because our society considers most potential closeness inappropriate. A very big problem is that we just can't communicate properly across the internet. Outside of a chatroom you can't properly ask quick questions to better understand someone. You can't hear the intonation in their voice. If they're a liar, it's much harder to tell. You can't see their expressions. Not only is miscommunication much easier. Not only can someone lie much easier. Even if communication is perfect you've still lost so much from what a real social interaction should be. It's a sort of sensory deprivation which is just not healthy.

In so, so, many ways the internet just sucks. And with what was mentioned earlier though... I've found myself drawn to it and trying to use it in ways that pretty much are futile/lead to no good really.

Something related is me just wanting sooo much. Like a ravenous demon. Rewatched Spirited Away last night and I remind myself of the No Face demon. (shudder). There is that in me. Oh well. That to me is what a demon is. Something with cravings that are out of control... I desire a level of connection with multiple others that I guess cannot actually be; a group consciousness.

Some say when we die we go into a mass collective intelligence. Maybe that is what I crave. Maybe somehow I was touched by it somehow, somewhere and now experience a void in it's absense(sp).