Monday, February 23, 2009

It's David Lynch on twitter. Really. What's so interesting about the weather?

David Lynch speaks in a way that I can't imagine anyone feeling threatened/inferior by him. People may not remember what we say but they remember how we make them feel and Lynch must at least make people feel relaxed. I bet this was a crucial quality to his fame. So much of commercial art is about networking and how well you talk to people.

I work with a guy who's been accepted to a film school in Hollywood. I could see him being maybe somewhat successful. At least making a living somewhere within it. I wouldn't say he's very intelligent. He's not well read. He didn't know any of my favorite directors. (He didn't even know who Lynch is.) He doesn't watch foreign films because he can't stand reading subtitles. He found a paper of my writings that fell out of my pocket. (I almost always carry a paper and pencil to write ideas on.) Everything about it flew over his head; including the very idea of writing ideas down on paper...

But still he could be successful because he's 6'5", effeminate, looks sort of like Drew Barrymore and won't make anyone feel inferior.

He's nice enough for the most part. His opinion of me is divided though. On the hand I'm very relaxed and nice to him and everyone. On the other hand I make him feel inferior. Short of just seeming dumber I don't think there's anything I could do about that. Maybe if I adopted some ridiculous way of talking; high and nasal like Lynch or maybe just something effeminate like him. Or maybe a country twang. Maybe if I had no legs or was badly disfigured from burns.

Smiling at him only makes it worse. That really shows dominance.

There is perhaps a way forward but it's related to things mostly outside of my control. Have been slowly getting happier and happier at work. I think it's infecting others. Got pulled to another unit today. Me and a bunch of 20 something women. Poor me. I'm happier then I've been in the past and gee whiz, people like happy people better. The bastards.

No really. They suck for that.
-
I find country music funny in how there are so many songs in which the singer seems to be boasting about how humble he is. I wouldn't suggest anyone ever bother pointing this out to a country music fan though.
-
Wonderful picture on the back of the paper yesterday of a man holding a dead bobcat which he shot. It's bobcat hunting season apparently. I didn't even know there were still bobcats in the area. I've never seen a live bobcat in the wild in my life. I doubt he's going to eat it, but I'd like to force him to. It weighed 30 pounds. My one cat is not too far short of it's size. How strange to see someone proudly holding up a large dead cat by it's back feet in the paper.
-
When I walk into a room at a party I look for whoever's alone and looks awkward and I go talk to them. Because I can't have a good time if there's someone else there who's just alone and not having a good time.
-
S at work has such an unhappy look on her face; like she's been psychically wounded. I wish I could take a picture. It's sort of beautiful yet achingly sad. Not just a normal unhappy look. I want to get that look off her face. What can I do though? The main problem is I think tied into her not having a boyfriend. Like hardly ever in her life. I'm very friendly with her. Borderline inappropriate I guess.
-
My friend's husband of 17 years moved out to live with one of his 20 year old doctor students. Despite teaching people to become doctors I had always thought him truly a doofus. At least he wasn't an arrogant doofus I suppose. He was always properly inferior to me at least. (Of course I had at the time tried everything I could think of to get him to relax and not feel inferior.) So, I don't know. The poor guy has no friends. He's got an extremely compartmentalized mind; out of touch with his amygdala I guess. He's probably getting tweaked and tweaked by it and has no idea what to do. It's telling him: "Something is missing in your life! You're unfulfilled!" And so then, it's been screaming this at him for who knows how long and finally he's gone off and done the usual and found some other lady to sleep with. A devout christian of course.

His wife and three children left behind. And she's totally lost the power balance there; still willing to take him back; even while he's still off having his fun.

One wonders how people manage it exactly; doing that to one another. And at what point you recognize a stupidity so great that you just use force to try to hold it in check instead of reason. (sigh) But perhaps that is exactly what our society as a whole did in response to so many people like him...

A bit of swinging shouldn't be such an awful thing but as it's really hurting his wife here it is just awful. I think ultimately one must have a small scope of mind where instead of infinity and choosing the game of pride in being moral as the only game really worth the bother, his scope of mind is piddly and focused on short term fun. A bit of fun with some young lady.

Maybe my revulsion is ultimately tied into the lack of eternal thinking? Like he's just some crude creation, like an insect, that will soon cease to exist and with no control follows the direction of it's crude genetic code.

His wife is boring but nice. Like a stepford wife. Barbie doll good looks. Not exactly something to be someone's everything. But definitely not tormenting him in any way.