Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Some things I love about that song are that I have no idea what the time signature is. At most points within it I can't tell where in the song I'm at despite many, many listens. I couldn't tell you if it follows the typical stanza, stanza, verse, etc format. I have not a clue how any noise was made. (Well, reverb and distortion obviously...) I love that it's a wall of just about undeciperable noise. I can hardly understand a word said. Actually in just linking it I did unfortunately read a few of the words and that lessened the song slightly. Is it repetitive? Doesn't seem so but I can hardly tell. And I don't want to analyze to find out. I love not knowing about it. My conscious mind is clueless about that song while my unconscious is all over it.

Whatever happened to that guy in A Clockwork Orange, Roddy McDowell I think his name was? I don't know. And I don't want to know. I really really liked him as an actor and I don't want to find out he died of a drug overdose or whatever in the world positive or negative. I like not knowing.

Here and there it is nice to not know things. Just a matter of picking stuff that isn't important...

I want to write music like the SP's Knowhere. (Except the song title is stupid, hate plays on words in titles.)

But, it will be hard to not know the time signature, etc if I write it. Not impossible but hard. Biggest problem is that voice. Before I started I thought surely with sufficient distortion, etc any voice could manage rageful vocals. I think I was wrong. But I'm hoping I just haven't found the right distortion yet. Finding the right distortion seemed to really help my drums. I've thrown every effect at my voice. But maybe I just need some different version of distortion, etc.

One thing is there is a metallic edge to it in there that I would guess they used an extremely quick delay of 5 to 10 ms. I've noticed that over and over again on his vocals. More pronouced on Remission. Barely noticeable here but important. I can sort of get that sound but again, perhaps I need some other version of it? Have tried to affiliated with Reaper. Would have thought delay was pretty much the same from one to the next but I don't really know.

(Sigh) I think I sounded better just singing into a fan as a kid though then I've managed with any effects I've used so far.

Also wonder about hardware effects. But the one hardware distortion I bought completely unimpresses me.

One thing to do is start with vocals and then put a song around it. Because the vocals are the least potentially flexible thing.

Eh. Perhaps that will be the next purchase. But just about everything I've bought I've found wasn't any better than something for free. Exception being East/West orchestra I guess. Which still is a pain to shape the expressions correctly. Thinking of getting out my trumpet instead for something I was working on.