Thursday, November 6, 2008

I didn't drink coffee yesterday and thus slept well last night. The problem with sleeping well is that you wake up and it's like starting over. Things need reviewing... either because they simply were forgotten or at least one feels as if they must have been forgotten. And ugly things are reviewed. Endlessly reviewed... at least until you're old enough that you never sleep well. (Maybe that's the real reason older people are happier generally...)

Why not review mainly happy things?

One punch in the face is worth a hundred hugs....?

Or perhaps bad sleep just leaves one too tired to bother thinking enough to review these things?

I don't think so...

I've wondered before how would life be different if people didn't need to sleep. I think I thought it would be a good thing because we'd quit forgetting... our emotional states... and what really makes us happy/unhappy, etc. We'd stop endlessly repeating our failures...

Perhaps... but perhaps we'd instead very quickly realize just how little there is that makes up life. And quickly get very very bored. With perfect memory might not boredom come very quick?

A final pulling back of the curtain again.

Dunno.

But when I quit drinking coffee and started raging, was I smarter or dumber? Was it just some chemical withdrawal? Was I reviewing past negatives?

I think just the latter.