Friday, November 21, 2008

"We 'feel free' because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom."
-Zizek (I think). From the movie 'Zizek!'

"I always tell the truth. Not the whole truth because one can't. To say everything is impossible. There aren't enough words. It's this impossibility which brings truth close to the "real"." -Jacques Lacan

(reminds me of my first attempt at naming my music... "Partial Truth"... as it really annoyed me how it wasn't the entire truth... Strange how that bothers me... Just want to seperate myself from the extreme posing of most people writing music... I guess... It's supposed to be facets of who you really are and it really seems that other people are usually pretending to be things they aren't. ...Or so clearly not real that there's no mistake... This of course totally my subjective opinion. My dumb subjective opinion.

I think of NIN compared to Skinny Puppy. Like many others I disliked NIN because they seemed a watered down version of Skinny Puppy which was safe for public consumption. Which is to say it was just selling out. And that... Reznor couldn't possibly like that crap music he's spent his life writing... Surely he couldn't! It's just posing! Dishonesty! Pretending to be something he's not! LOL. Of course at least in Reznor's case I think it is geniune... Not his fault his music doesn't quite do it for me or that the mass media wouldn't play Skinny Puppy.

But then soundclick has that same thing going on... music I don't like... so surely it's just "posing" (No, it isn't.) But then combined with fake writeups. "Shattered Ream burst onto the Toronto industrial scene in 2001 with their debut album blah, blah, blah combining syncopated blah, blah, blah with hard driving rythms..." (Bio actually written by the one guy who wrote the music alone with Fruit Loops...)

Plus just the very fact that it's fantasy to begin with... It's creativity. Of course it's not real...??

So in response to a feeling of dishonesty which comes from multiple sources; some real, some just arrogant personal failings, wanted to separate myself... But it ends up that the creativity is constrained because bizarrely it wants to stay honest....? Bizarre. What the hell does that even mean? I dune frikin newww.

----

LOL. Zizek is a one finger typist. The Elvis of cultural criticism. But how fast can you type?