Saturday, August 22, 2009

Reggae. Last listened a lot in about 1998. Steel Pulse mostly.


Some Peter Tosh...


(the guy who wrote Johnny B. Goode grew up a few minutes from my house....)

Alpha Blondy... And helped me relax although... life passed quickly and somewhat more meaninglessly.

Discovered Augustus Pablo not till 2004 or so.

Just found a wonderful album. Love this song:



I've never taken marijuana but it seems like such a tired stereotype that it's always tied to reggae.

I bought a melodica and want to try doing some improv to a loop like this song. Unfortunately my wife works at home so that's 40 hours during which I can't play it. Nor in the middle of the night when I'm awake either. Hopefully the new house will be such that I can do so without disturbing her.

So a slight reggae kick lately. Tied with fantasy fiction. And all my schooling finished. And a decent job. Making things seem a lot more peaceful. Maybe even too peaceful?

--

I want a house that has big windows which get direct sunlight. The house we're very close to buying doesn't have that. The windows are small and it gets almost no direct sunlight.

But that's in part because there's a lot of trees. And trees are a good thing also.

The free house I live in currently has big windows. In the evening glorious sunlight shines into the kitchen. In the morning glorious sunlight shines into the bedroom. I open the curtain and all three cats immediately jump in the window. Plus right outside we sit food where 3 or 4 others come to eat. In the kitchen window we've a bird feeder. The cats sit and watch the birds eat.

The rooms aren't gloomy as they fill with sun. But maybe losing such isn't that big a deal.

I wanted a lot of plants inside. There are plants that don't need direct sunlight. But not ideal. I want natural light making it not so gloomy.

I try to discuss this concern with my wife and she just gets angry. She wants the house bad.

Also some weirdly shaped rooms. And a crass fake fireplace. I try to discuss how exactly will we put furniture in such rooms? And she just gets angry. My pointing out and trying to discuss negatives is just me starting a fight. Not trying to make sure we're wisely spending two hundred thousand dollars.

Now she doesn't want to get the house because she thinks I'll spend the next 30 years complaining about the lack of sunlight, etc.

I just don't know. The land around the house has potential. The house itself is OK. I guess.

We're driving the realtor crazy I think in how many houses we've looked at now. And I must be really annoying as no house is good enough for me. They're never made with wisdom. Like for example, I don't think people even take into consideration where the sun rises and sets.. Or how certain spaces will just end up sitting forever unused. Or rooms that just don't make sense...

This one has three upstairs bedrooms. With two closets that are 7 by 7 feet. (Almost small rooms basically.) Then a fourth room which is the same size as these two closets. What in the world would we do with such a room?

Then downstairs there is a room that's too long. Sit chairs, etc at each wall and you'd have to cup your hands and yell to the person in the other chair. Or if there was a TV you'd need binoculars.

The room with the crass fake fireplace is open such that almost any furniture would be in the way of where you'd walk to get through the room. And it's a massive fireplace. Dominates the room. What else would even go with it? six feet high. 8 feet wide and it's not even real. Why? Who thought that was a good idea? That room has a tiny bit of ceiling that's 20 feet high. But, if there's ever a good time to have a 20 foot high ceiling, this is exactly a time not to. Supposing you actually wanted to get heat from the fireplace it's all going to go up in that space above.

The house just doesn't seem to make sense. An open kitchen but off it the area to put a kitchen table is slightly narrow. Too wide to just be a hallway but a table would probably have to be up against the wall...

But my wife loves it, thinks it's fantastic. Although she can't answer to any of these negatives. My mom thinks I'm being ridiculous. Although she also can't answer to any of these negatives but to dismiss them as unimportant. I end up being more annoyed that I'm surrounded by people who aren't capable of explaining themselves and having a civilized discussion concerning differences. They don't even want to discuss any of these things at the house because the realtor is there seeing us have an 'argument'. So then I'm supposed to wait till we're no longer in the house to discuss all these issues. Which is kind of absurd. This is two hundred thousand dollars. I should be able to discuss such issues while I'm there in the house.

This one though does have a little minicreek and a good bit of land. There was even a deer hiding in the foilage. There is a field that is roughly 10,000 square feet that I was thinking to do stuff with. Put in a pond and so on. Even if I don't like the house that much the field beside I could make the way I like. Evergreens along the road. Vines, flowers, trees, a pond. ....etc... A place to sit on a swing by a pond and read. A little place that's not really very little at all which proclaims something more than mere survival. Something that borders on being so un-oriented to mere survival that it's absurd. All kinds of paths, etc. Places for people to hide...

And put up a big sign: "trespassers welcome".

And it's a small dead end street in a very verdant area which yet isn't out in the middle of nowhere.

We should buy it I guess.

But it just doesn't feel right... Robert Tinnell's old house with the tiny bedrooms felt right. This one feels not like a home. It feels like an ill thought idea. Which is to say like a typically modern house, thrown together without any real thought for what was being done. Not at one with nature. Not at one even with any potential furniture. Just such and such square footage, such and such bedrooms with big closets... Slap an addition on here. Blah.

An ugly but large house on a beautiful piece of land. I've seen many others that felt more like actual homes. But the square footage and the land is the best buy seen by far. Could it be made to feel like an actual home? Attempting to discuss such things with my wife, and relatives was futile.