Sunday, June 7, 2009

William Golding's The Inheritors

Capitivating? No. You pretty much know they're all going to die. Sooner or later.

Mere survival? Yes.

If it had been me, could I ever have bothered writing this? No.

Plot, characters or setting? Mostly setting. 99.9% of this book seems to just be supplying detail about the uninteresting wilderness and I guess somewhat about the characters which... the insights about his imaginary neanderthals aren't really that interesting. A ton of writing about uninteresting stuff to just make it all feel as if it were real. So that we manage to care a bit as the neanderthals are killed.

Will I remember this book at all? Am I changed at all by it? I probably read it ten years ago and just don't remember having done so.

Still I like Golding for being such a negative guy. I guess.