Saturday, April 18, 2009

From Kurosawa's The Idiot:

Woman: Tell me, what are you like? I want to know more about you. What did you do before the war?

Idiot: Well...

Woman: You'd rather not say?

Idiot: It's not that. I remember the day my life was spared, but everything before that feels like it happened to someone else.

Woman: Then tell me that story. How did it feel when you were facing certain death?

Idiot: Everyone in the world suddenly seemed so dear to me.

Woman: Everyone in the world?

Idiot: Each and every person I'd ever known. Everyone I'd ever passed on the street. And not just people... the puppy I'd thrown a rock at as a child. Why hadn't I been kinder?

Woman: To the puppy?

Idiot: No, everyone! I told myself that if I were spared... I would be kinder and more considerate to everyone. But I knew all was lost. They were sure to execute me. That thought alone was so unbearable that it drove me mad.