Monday, April 27, 2009

Just running once a week now. For the first 110 minutes I've improved about 5, 5 and now 12 minutes these last 3 runs. Have still gotten faster every run. This last run I finally had a slightly higher intensity I think. Breathing a little more elevated. I just felt so good (and felt like I was going so slow) so I had to go faster. Maybe some body parts just feel so strong now (calves, quads) that others are starting to get hit more now. More of a full body thing thus slightly heavier breathing.

Now making it down to a swampy area that reminds me of An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge. Feel like I'm in Lousiana. Not dreamy though.

I keep waiting to not improve. I figure that will put me in a bad mood when that happens. It seems we ought to always improve. But the long term reality of running is something between never improving or maybe a slight improvement once every 10, 15 runs, normally speaking.

Surely to some extent this is muscle memory and just what looong runs they are, plus chucking the weights halfway in. Still bordering on strange to improve every single time for 13 or so runs in a row over two months or so most recently by a ridiculous 12 minutes while not losing any weight.