Saturday, January 31, 2009

A bit more about memory: as I get older I realize more and more how essential it is to have a bad one. If some worthwhile stuff gets chucked with the bad, so be it.

Liked that from Barker's Imagica; the wizard who can't remember anything that happened more than ten years past.

Because a single punch in the face is more remembered than 100 hugs. Also in a sense it seems more like one positive thing for every 1000 negatives. It seems that is.
----
The spurious blog is a relatively good one I guess. He's framented himself into two people, which I really think that's what characters are. I don't think they're complete and realistic people. As such just wouldn't be quite so interesting. You need symbolic people. Not real people. Not saying totally 2D, just not really real. Would usually be a little boring otherwise, I think. I'm considering doing the same here, for the heck of it. Maybe would be a somewhat useful exercise. Maybe. Part of me feels very silly doing so though.
----
Murakami's Kafka on the Shore: the title is a little annoying. I don't see the connection to Kafka. I didn't get it expecting there to be one though. In the end I continued reading just for the final battle scene, which is another thing I can't get myself to do. It's no different than:
----
Salvatore's Drizzt D'urden: He's just a decent guy who's a kick ass sword fighter. He uses that sword to fight against the evil society he's in, up to even killing the very gods of that society I think. But I couldn't quite do it. Sword fighting? Too silly. But then any fighting, any characters clearly pitted against one another I ultimately have an issue with... The 2D evil characters? I remember feeling kind of revolted by how 2D they were originally. Somehow I ended up reading 22 books of it though... (O.o) I don't know if I could stand to make them.

I did read a couple Drizzt books and years later reread at least one entire book without ever remembering having previously read it. Figured it out near the middle of the next in the series.

But I don't have to clearly pit (put) (pit?) people against one another. The bad guy can be the very structure of society. Or more wonderfully the bad guy is defeated with reason. He finally quits being a slave to his/her unconscious. He finally opens his mind.