Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Anti-multitasking

my issue with art

I think I was wrong there. I dislike Camus' solution because the idea of not thinking period, in any situation, seems a negative. As we exist to the extent we think, etc. But, practically speaking the mind can only do so much. At least in the formative stage of a piece of art it is best if you are solely concentrating on just that piece of art. You should not be thinking at all about whether or not anyone else will ever hear, read, look at it. That is energy taken away from the art itself. This idea instead of imagining you're going to be the next Hemingway, or whatever, (thus the creation isn't so futile...) you end up daydreaming about absurd things like being famous instead of concentrating on whatever art you're working on.

There is something to be said for putting your head down and just not thinking about certain things. I just worry about what will happen when I'm not looking. If ever I have any actual "syndrome" it would be this idea of wanting to keep awareness of all things. A ridiculous idea. ADD stuff. Should try to concentrate on one thing at a time probably. Yes, will do so.