Tuesday, March 17, 2009

second run was 68 minutes. Third run yesterday was... 98 minutes. Each with 5 lb dumbells in each hand. Very slow. Still not much soreness at all though. It is interesting to me that the arm running motion mimics the motion of performing a dip and I'm interested to see if running with dumbells will improve my ability to perform dips. After yesterday's run I did a set of 25 dips without even breathing hard. Although the range of motion was not quite what it could be. Hopefully when I get faster the arm ROM will improve a bit.

But I may not necessarily improve much. Beyond the first month or so most people don't. And that's why most eventually just don't bother. Hardly anyone can do a set of 20 chinups for example. People will do that stuff for years and years and still struggle to do 10, 15. Which doesn't seem right to me. Surely there ought to be a way to train that people can manage to improve beyond that first month of so. Yet, really, virtually none do.

I've seen people here out running for years and years and they still hobble along looking like crap. I recall one guy especially he did this thing that was halfway between a run and a speed walk. He was chubby. In the summer he went without a shirt and had a great tan but was really quite chubby. Year after year so he went, never any faster that I could see. Finally he got cancer and died. He wasn't even 60. Perhaps there were unseen benefits to his running. Maybe he got a great high from it and had a good sex life.