Monday, July 27, 2009

Hey my wife does read my blog!

Or at least she occasionally does a control f search for 'wife'.

This line here:
I'm sorry I've already been married for a decade and unfortunately my wife would not like the thoughts in my head so much at the moment.


Would have been better phrased:

"I've already been married for a decade and I'm sorry to say my wife would unfortunately not like the thoughts in my head so much at the moment."

BTW, I've reflected on why I almost never mention my wife in this blog. And it's not because she means so little to me. It's because:
1. This is a blog about negative things and for the most part there's just nothing negative there... not much anyway.
2. To what little extent there is, bitchin about her in a blog would be ridiculous in that it would just be griping about relatively insignificant things.
3. I don't go on about the positives because that would seem like flaunting.
-
Just bought 5 decadent books. Robin Hobb. I loved her Liveship Trader Trilogy. I think maybe I would be happy to write like her. Maybe that is someone I could write like and feel it worth the bother.
Robin Hobb: Comforting. Hm. Nothing. Exhilarating to be exploring new territory and setting up a fresh stage and getting to know new characters. 'Daunting' is always there in any book with any setting, old or new. I look at how far there is to go, how many pages, how many words, how many keystrokes, and the whole project seems insane. And sometimes I cross the safety line and say, "Wait a minute. Isn't this an inherently silly thing for me to be spending my life doing? Saying, 'hey, let me tell you a story about people who don't exist in a world that never was, and I'll try to make it so important that you'll spend hours of your life with me over the next three years?' I mean, if you really look at what writers do, it does seem a bit odd, doesn't it? So that can be the daunting part. If you let it. But I'm really good at denial.

Over all, I love to write, and read, and tell stories. Really daunting would be if someone said, "Nobody's interested any more. Go out and work for a living!"


Got another trilogy by her.

Then Gene Wolfe. A beautiful sounding book set in ancient times (Rome) about a guy who has no short term memory but can talk to gods, etc. So everyday he writes what happened to him then to read the next morning. Read a book about an executioner long ago by him. It seemed almost as if it were advertised as cheesy pulp fantasy, but I recall thinking... 'Geez this is really good.' Just found out recently he's actually very highly respected and not some Kilgore Trout.

I do seem to be slipping into a previous frame of mind. For the longest time I couldn't enjoy reading like I once did. But then immediately after getting the RN exam out of the way, I read some of Vellum while walking to my car. I had forgotten how strangely enjoyable that can be; walking while reading. (Dangerously unassimilated though it is.) Really being immersed. It was once such a nice escape. One that I effectively lost for quite a while... I was still reading here and there but not truly falling in...

I couldn't fall in while in nursing school. Previously I could while getting my BS and MS in engineering but for me at least those were easier degrees. Nursing was so much more subjective and had this annoying quality where studying didn't actually accomplish anything but one didn't feel like they could ever relax. So then, little time was spent studying, but I didn't feel comfortable instead falling into escapist type fantasy fiction. Could only turn to less satisfying diversions that were less likely to really pull me in so very much. Like surfing the vast internet wasteland. Which is ultimately such a pale world. Not the best use of time unfortunately despite the few interesting and nice people I've "met".