Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I had gotten away from the slow long distance running because I was losing the ability to run fast at all. For the SLD I remember managing 11 miles at just under 12 minutes per mile. So instead I started running much faster. Running 30 seconds then walking. Even with walking half the time my pace was up to 10:30 per mile that way. But I guess it had been just too long since I'd done much fast running and my knees started hurting then. So then I went 2 or 3 weeks without running to let my knees get better. And then my back started hurting again. I hadn't noticed just how good it had been feeling during the SLD (we generally notice what hurts, not what doesn't). With no running I've gone back to waking up at 4AM with my back hurting so that I have to get up even though I'm still sleepy.

OK so...? I guess try to combine the two types of running somehow. The thing is even alternating with walking I can cover more distance that way with fast running/walking then I can with the slow long distance. That makes the slow long distance truly seem a waste. So, not sure how to proceed exactly. OTOH, all that stopping and starting is mentally just a little annoying. I suppose 5 minutes of the stopping and starting and then go to the relaxing SLD? It was really nice having no back pain.

As to how I physically look, the SLD does nothing at all for me. As to my heart rate, the SLD does nothing for me. Was 75 resting. For that the run fast/walk is great. In two weeks my resting heart rate dropped to 52 BPM. Also I gain muscle and lose fat. I don't know. The SLD is close to useless except mentally it was enjoyable and my back started feeling really good.

Trying to get back into lifting weights. Managed 3 chinups with 70 pounds attached to me @245. (pr is 105x3.7@225) And 90 lbs x2 for dips (pr is 120x3). Of all the endless ways to strength train I wonder if the best for me is just one hard set every 6 or so days. And then the thing being that I can't expect to improve a rep each time. More like hope to improve 1/5th of a rep maybe. And then try to make that improvement without injuring self.