Wednesday, July 1, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_psychology

The psyche spontaneously generates mythico-religious symbolism and is therefore spiritual as well as instinctive in nature. An implication of this is that the choice of whether to be a spiritual person or not does not exist—the only question is exactly where we put our spirituality: do we live it consciously or unknowingly invest it in nonspiritual aspirations.

Hah! I ...sort of have been reinventing an argument against atheism. (Although that's not really how I would put it. Not so much 'invest it in nonspiritual aspirations,' as stay sane basically through the spirtuality in us we're unaware of, but whatever.)

So here's the thing: some people would read this and realize they weren't the first person to think of this and think, "Darn!"

But I read it and it's such a relief. It does not remotely make me feel good to think I'm that alone, that no one else ever thought such a thing. (Although I think I knew that other people had thought the same, just hadn't yet seen it described so similarly to what I've thought) And also I don't look at life as much of a competition. My moments of being proud that I'm so 'special' are extremely few and far between. Always instead focusing on problems. Not nice hard science ones unfortunately. Much uglier ones. Ones involving violent little monkeys (people).