Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Robin Hobb: The Assasin's Apprentice, pg 426.
Suddenly I felt such energy in me I managed to get out of bed.

The book as a whole has many important concepts about human behavior but I was too busy enjoying the escape and falling for all the tricks to bother taking much note. This is the rare book that if it were me I could see bothering to write it.

The only question that troubles me is I think I already read it just a few years ago but can't quite remember for sure. Definitely read Liveship Traders but not sure about this one. Liveship Traders though was a relatively unique idea combined with lots of emotional anguish. The idea of a ship being alive with the lady at the front being able to talk and all seems goofy and perhaps childish but it really worked.

All of her books really do go heavy on the villains doing awful things to good people. In this one the main character almost commits suicide from the despair he feels. Yet, somehow, there is something happy to the point of highly dishonest about it all.... Thus a good escape. And the worlds she creates are pretty real. Not the realist. But quite real enough while somehow managing to have a positive feeling despite heroes having such awful things done to them that they are such a nice escape.

-

Forgetting is definitely an essential thing to be able to continue tolerating life. Or at least life as it's commonly lived, amongst a bunch of other people who are doing such a good job of forgetting.

In the case of completely forgetting that I've read 400 page books it is a bit distressing. But maybe I got to enjoy it twice then.